Reports to: Director of Project Management Office
Summary of Duties
The Technical Writer is responsible for documenting technical materials as it relates to systems development and operations projects and products and transform it into easy-to-understand information for specific audiences. This documentation must be useable in Java-language applications in an object-oriented architecture. The Technical Writer will be responsible for creating, editing, publishing, and maintaining technical documentation for current and future applications, per the company style guide.
- Develops strong working relationships with Product Management, Development, and QA and participates fully in the complete software development lifecycle to ensure that the documentation effort compliments the product roadmap and project schedules.
- Learns and keeps abreast of the industry specific aspects of Institutional Investment Advisory and of our software to enhance the documentation’s ability to address the true needs of the end user.
- Produces high quality printed and electronic product documentation and delivers multiple projects simultaneously.
- Uses various authoring and desktop publishing software tools such as RoboHelp, Snag-IT and Acrobat Pro to produce finished products,.
- Interacts with the user community to maintain customer focus for documentation.
- Defines and tests documentation usability goals utilizing “best practices”
- Creates and administers procedures for document version control.
- Document sinternal IT work processes, tools and system dependencies
- Gathers documentation requirements from Product Management, Product Integration and Marketing. Based on these requirements, develops various means of communication to targeted audiences regarding proprietary software and system functionality.
- Builds appropriate software configuration tags for documentation and applies this information to the QA environment.
- Develops icons and banners for mobile tablet devices and third party vendors.
Must have an intermediate level of expertise in RoboHelp, Snag-IT, Camtasia, and Adobe Publisher authoring software applications. An advanced expertise in Microsoft Word is required. Experience in wiki application is preferred
A bachelor’s degree is required along with 3 years’ experience in technical writing. Functional knowledge of Institutional Investment Advisory marketplace along with 3 years’ experience in financial services is preferred. Prior experience producing instructions, technical online content, and employee manuals strongly preferred.
Must be an effective communicator and able to work in a dynamic, team-oriented, and collaborative environment .Must be self-motivated and largely self-directed to maintain an organized workflow. Excellent editing and interpersonal skills required. Must demonstrate a strong protocol and methodology for document creation, edits / revisions, proofreading, and document version control.