Director of Technical Services
The Director of Technical Services plays an important role in running our data center infrastructure, software, and networks necessary to power our financial organization. This position will be responsible for over a $1.5+ million dollar data center budget that requires management of vendors, contracts, and service providers to maximize technology while controlling expenses. The director will be responsible for audits by the FDIC, State of Colorado, and CoalFire which occur yearly to satisfy our regulators. This position will work closely with the CIO to ensure corporate information technology visions are executed to support the business requirements to drive revenue, and also:
• Manages our enterprise mainframe P770’s, Enterprise DS8000’s, EMC Sans, and various virtualized systems to 99.9999% availability across our production and disaster recovery data centers.
• Manages an enterprise Cisco network that powers sub second trading platform that communicates to major financial institutions across the US.
• Standardizes, automates, and directs system, network, and storage operations to zero defects to ensure Trust provides IT services 24x7x365.
• Manages disaster recovery services, business continuity operations, ISO responsibilities with vendors to drive best practices for a financial institution.
• Runs all programs, transmissions, and services necessary to operate all Trust Company of America business operations.
• Accountable for the measurement, monitoring, application management, configuration, and support of our complex advisor systems across the data center:
• Handles responsibility for change management, incident management, and all associated data center operational functions.
• Oversees internal productivity systems for Trust internal customers across the corporation. These systems include; email, messaging, desktop, phone systems, call center technology and other systems critical to day to day business operations.
• Manages all IT accounts payable functions which includes purchase orders, invoices, and variance reporting.
• Works with IT managers, architects, business executives, finance, human resources, marketing, sales, accounting, ICS, ACS, Gemisys, and Mailhouse to manage IT responsibilities.
• Manages vendor relationships, driving vendor negotiations to maximize contract value and minimize cost.
• Mentors and develops talent within the Tech Services team. Promotes opportunities for knowledge sharing and skill building across department. Drives continuous improvement efforts that enhance quality, business practices, and productivity. Optimizes organizational performance by ensuring processes are in place to attract and to retain top talent.
• Manages IT budget for all hardware, software, and services contracts to provide the CIO with a full financial breakdown on future expense, report variances to controller, and build yearly budgets for approval by CIO, CEO, CFO, and the board.
• Supervises others through training, directing and measuring work, delegating, managing performance, interviewing, hiring, and resolving problems
Manages direct reports by:
• Growing the skill set of each direct report in the areas of:
o Financial Securities processing Knowledge
o Trust systems and application Knowledge
o Best Practices of Unix/Linux/Windows Knowledge
o Developing and managing a career development plan to help direct reports obtain greater responsibilities and address areas of improvement
o Coaching on best business and professional workplace practices
o Conducting scheduled feedback and yearly performance reviews and recommends individuals for promotions.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field is required – MBA preferred. 15+ years of progressive experience, including a minimum of 10 years of experience leading complex technology teams in a financial system industry like trading/brokerage, advisor, banking, stock exchanges or any institution tied to Wall Street. Knowledge of MultiValue database, Relational database, and Java web applications. Demonstrated experience managing Data Center Operations including:
o Enterprise Mainframe and server management
o Physical and logical security management
o Disaster recovery failover and business continuity
o Batch job scheduling in mainframe and distributed (i.e. Windows and Unix) operating system environment
Must be able to demonstrate experiences managing large complex server environments containing over 500 physical or virtual servers. Must be able to demonstrate planning and executing server consolidation and virtualization efforts on Windows, UNIX, and Linux in a production operational environment.
Must have strong business acumen, leadership skills, with the ability to build relationships with and influence all levels within an organization, most importantly at the senior executive level. Must be proficient in the application of technology. Must understand the evolution of a broad range of technology from enterprise servers to enterprise storage including their impact on data center requirements. Must understand how technology is applied to products and services and how that translates into data center capacity requirements. Must have outstanding communication skills including the ability to present information in a variety of different formats and influence all levels of the organization, including senior executives
Must be able to identify and define enterprise technology strategies for the tactical delivery of complex, mission-critical software development projects. Must be able to work closely with all management levels, key company staff and customers. Must have an aptitude for understanding business trends to develop timely, effective IT solutions. Must have the ability to mentor developers and testers who possess a wide variety of technical and non-technical skills. Must have an aptitude for the practical application of modern IT methods. Must have strong results orientation with proven ability to mobilize and energize large, complex cross-functional teams to implement creative out of the box solutions. Demonstrated ability to manage large, unstructured issues, organizing them into solvable, prioritized projects designed to meet over-arching goals across the organization is required. Must have the ability to travel as required by the needs of the business